Lecture two: The Scientific Society
Precisely what is Technology?
• Defining technology presents one common challenge because scholars have proposed many different definitions. • Socio-technical point of view: The study of just how social elements affect scientific and clinical developments.
What is Technology? cont'd
• Technology has been understood to be:
1 . 2 . 3. some. 5. Material Substance Understanding Practice Technique Society
The fact that was the original aim of technology?
• To relieve all of us of menial tasks – Repetitive • To improve quality – Man errors will be bound to happen • To improve acceleration, productivity – Machines can easily do some duties faster • Physical • Mathematical measurements
What was the initial purpose of technology?
• Technology was created to make our lives easier – But has it? • A generation back, a growth was expected in the enjoyment industry – What provides happened instead?
• When technology neglects – It had been designed by human beings – Individual mistakes propagate wider and faster than if we would the job by hand
Are all of us managing technology? Or is definitely technology handling us?
• World absorbed by computer systems, robots (Terminator, Transformer…) – Science fictional, or modern-day reality? – How frequently we make a move unnatural since " the computer needs that done that way” – Forms that we have to fill in – Computerized call distribution • QWERTY keyboard – To decrease typists – Bosses: A single finger inputting • To get a great assistant • To get a Blackberry mobile phones
Are all of us managing technology? Or can be technology taking care of us?
• Are we all losing our ability to think? – Calculators, mental mathematics – GPS NAVIGATION, sense of direction – Google, college student research • Are we all losing our ability to conduct basic jobs? – Automotive diagnostic computers, mechanic – Autopilots, flying – Microwave, cooking
• Auto market – Asia – Toyota, Honda, Nissan – Korea – Hyundai, Kia • Manufacturing – Japan – Hong Kong – China – India • Telecommunications – Landline system – Cell infrastructure...